Sunday, July 27, 2008

come on up...

i actually said these words to our pastor in front of the whole church today...yes i really did. and yes, it sounded as dumb and as "price is right" as it looks written down in title of this post. it was not one of my finer moments in public speaking. you see, i was supposed to do the greeting/announcements this morning. no big deal. piece of cake. i don't mind speaking in front of people. usually don't feel very nervous or intimidated. but, this morning, i just froze and dropped the ball...in front of the whole church. first the mic wasn't on right away..then i stood in the wrong place...then i started sweating...then i realized i had a massive headache...then the lights seemed so bright...then i said "come on up" to our pastor right before he was to come and deliver the message. yeah, not good :( i've been praying for the Lord to free me from my pride, help me not to fear failure, look to Him for all i need in this life and not to myself. i forgot to ask Him this morning to help me with the announcements. well, i was certainly humbled and i have this feeling i'm not going to be at the top of the list of people to ask to do the announcements again :) but, if i'm asked, i'm pretty sure i can't do much worse and i think i'll remember to pray that even in the very small things (such as announcements) that He'll speak through me...then maybe i won't say "come on up" to my pastor again!!

post signature

5 comments:

The Guthries said...

OK, it really doesn't sound that bad. I'm sure it was in the moment, but I think it sounded pretty natural to tell him to come on up, unless it totally wasn't time for him to speak.... Maybe I don't get the full picture of the setting. But, to be asked to do announcements is pretty big! You go girl! And I am confident they will ask you again... :-)

Anonymous said...

If you were expecting to be a professional, then you would not have been asked to do the announcements!The church is full of imperfect beings who are seeking him. All God asks is that we ask HIm to come on up! The enemy always wants us to be defeated! I'm sure that you were part of God's plans for that Sunday. In Him, DAD and MOM

Garrett said...

Don't be so hard on yourself! I love you girl.

kristen said...

Sis,
I know that you are probably embarrassed and horrified by what happened, but I guarantee that God used you more during this moment of weakness than he ever could have if you did it perfectly. 2 Corinthians 12:9--"....His power is made more perfect in weakness. Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me." Hard for us to grasp, but His Worldview is so much different than Ours!! In the next couple of weeks if you are looking, I bet the Lord will confirm it!
I love you so much!!

Carrie said...

ok, i was there and thought nothing of it. i thought you did great. you recovered from the microphone thing like a pro!!!! i was impressed that you were able to get up there at all!!!!! i loved your church. so glad we could worship with y'all! we had a wonderful visit!
love y'all....carie